(Yield: 1 portion)
For each portion:
- 1 slice of bread – use a thick-sliced, whole-grain bread (can use a hearty gluten-free bread)
- 1 – 2 strips of crisp bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- Dash of salt
Toppings – see below
Toast bread until golden and firm. In a toaster, you might need to toast and re-toast. In the oven, at 350 degrees F, toast for about 6-8 minutes.
In a sauté pan, slowly cook the bacon. Slowly is key. After 4 minutes, flip the bacon, and cook until desired crispness, about another 4 minutes for crispy and 5 minutes for extra-crispy. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. When cool, crumble.
Meanwhile, remove avocado from the shell using a spoon and put into a bowl. Mash the avocado until smooth. Add a dash of salt and mix in.
Spread the avocado on toast. Top with crumbled bacon.
Add a topping like green onion salsa, ranch dressing, shredded cheese, etc.
GREEN SALSA TOPPING
(Yield: 4 portions)
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn or chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons drained and rinsed brined capers
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, if desired
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
In a food processor, pulse the parsley, basil, green onion, capers, lemon rind, anchovy paste, mustard, and garlic powder. Add the olive oil, water, and pepper. If there is some left over, store in an airtight container.