You might recall an erosion control project that we completed on the west side of Staughton Vale Road with the Port Phillip and Westernport CMA in 2021. Well, the direct seeding revegetation work that was undertaken by the works crews has been hugely successful. Acacias and eucalypts are growing up in profusion, helping to bind the soil together and prevent further erosion.
Key factors to the success of this project were:
- Using a dozer to control tunnel erosion and rabbits and loosen the hard crust of soil that was across the escarpment
- Loosening the soil allowed the rainfall to soak in
- Hand raking in the acacia and eucalypt seed
- Placing old straw over exposed areas to reduce moisture loss whilst the soil was bare
- A good season with some summer rainfall
Hear more about the project at our next general meeting!