1. Get the names and contact information of as many of the nine members now on the Board of Education for your local schools or Regional High School.
2. Talk to as many current Board members as you can. Find out which, if any of them share your views. Find out which of them will be seeking re-election. Find out which, if any seats will be vacant.
3. Talk to the leaders of your local political and civic clubs who get involved in elections and public school matters. Find out if they are running any candidates, and whether or not you have common ground with them.
4. If you decide to be a candidate, do the best you can to run as a slate with two other candidates who share your views. Learn how to fill out and submit the proper forms to "bracket" with other candidates using a shared slogan.
5. Click Here For the Link To Becoming a School Board Member: Candidate Kit - New Jersey School Boards Association (njsba.org). Read the legal requirements to be a candidate and get on the ballot.
6. Contact the County Clerk for your County to make sure you are using the proper petition form. Find out what other forms you need to fill out and submit.
7. You are required to have at least ten registered voters sign your nominating petition. Make sure you get twice as many as you legally need. Make a photocopy of a second blank signature page.
8. You are required to file your nominating petition with your County Clerk by 4pm on Monday, July 31 this year, the 4th Monday of July. However, it is better to file on or before Friday, July 28. That way, you have a full weekend to correct any defects you may have in your nominating petition.
9. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at email@example.com or by leaving a voicemail at 609-927-7333. Or, meet us for breakfast any Saturday from 9:30am to 10:30am at Sal's Cafe, 501 New Road (Groveland Ave), Somers Point, NJ