- 1 package brownie mix (*may use gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brewed espresso coffee
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9” pan and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix the brownie mix, cocoa powder, brown sugar, confectioners’ sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger.
In another bowl, stir the melted butter and espresso. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream, vanilla extract, and egg. Add the butter mixture to the brownie mix batter. Stir with a spatula until the batter is smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips and stir again to incorporate.
Pour the batter—it is gooey—into the prepared pan. Bake for 25–30 minutes, until the edges start to pull away from the sides. Do not overbake. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Cool brownies at least 20 minutes before cutting.