March 16, 2020
"Most young children will remember how their family home felt during the coronavirus (covid-19) panic more than anything specific about the virus. Our kids are watching us and learning about how to respond to stress and uncertainty. Let's wire our kids for resilience not panic. How? Calm yourself. Limit excessive reading and talking about the coronavirus (covid-19). Validate your child's perception of reality. Reassert roles. Prepare your child for misinformation. Label changes and recreate structure. Be honest. Add in extra fun." - Dr. Becky
Well, here we all are, cozied up at home with our families, wondering how we will keep everyone entertained for the next several weeks! My kids are now on a three week break from school, and my husband has had to switch to online teaching for the remainder of the term. We are laying low and enjoying some family time and are grateful to see how our community has come together in efforts to flatten the curve of this outbreak.
I know there is SO MUCH information flying around out there right now, so I wanted to compile for you the best free resources and sales to help you keep your little ones engaged over the next several weeks. Here we go!
Here are my favourite FREE resources to share with you:
- Handwashing Song by Canadian infectious disease physician Dr. Nisha Thampi. This song, sung to the tune of "Frère Jacques" features the six-step handwashing method recommended by the World Health Organization. This one isn't just about filling 20 seconds, but also how to properly wash your hands.
- Free 3-Day Montessori Mini-Class by 3mm Montessori. This online course will take place via a private Instagram account beginning this Wednesday and ending on Friday. Click the link to view the details and to register.
- List of Education Companies Offering Free Subscriptions and Resources by Amazing Educational Resources. This Google doc is a complete list of free resources. It will take sometime to digest, but it is sorted alphabetically so if you are looking for something specific, you can scroll through easily. I might suggest bookmarking this one as it is regularly updated.
- Yoga with Adriene - okay so this one is more for the parents, but older kids might also enjoy this free practice. Lots of really great videos to walk you through your practice. You may need it for your own sanity!
And I would be remiss if I failed to let you in on the following amazing sales:
- Homeschool Starter Kit - $200 of beautiful homeschool resources for just $15. Sale ends March 28th. See a full list of inclusions when you click the link (affiliate link)
- 52 Drawing Tutorials from Mylestone Creatives and Backpack Sciences. A year worth of drawing tutorials for just $10!
- March 19: Indoor Activities Bundle - choose the age range that best suits your needs (2-3, 4-6 and 7-9 bundles). I've contributed to each bundle and will be sharing more on social media later this week.
- March 25: Montessori Spring Mega Bundle. So excited for this one! (and yes, I've created a special bonus I think you'll love!)
- April: Release of our next FREE staggered bundle. 10 activities over 10 days (think fish)!
I'd love to hear your feedback on the resources I've shared today. Please drop me a line any time at email@example.com
Until next time,