Pumpkins look great on your porch and taste delicious in pumpkin rolls, pumpkin pies, and pumpkin spice lattes, but did you know that pumpkins and their seeds have many health benefits? Pumpkins are low in calories and rich in vitamin A, B6, C, and E which enhance your immune system helping to protect you against colds, infections, and flu viruses. Pumpkin seeds have known anti-inflammatory properties which can benefit those who suffer from arthritis pain. They also contain compounds called phytosterols which can help lower cholesterol and protect against certain cancer types. As far as oral health is concerned, pumpkin seeds are great for strengthening teeth and bones as they contain high levels of iron and magnesium. What better time to take advantage of these great health benefits of pumpkins than this Fall! Follow these instructions for a tasty pumpkin seed snack:
- Separate the seeds from pumpkin pulp, rinse in water, and pat dry.
- Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and ground rosemary or thyme to taste.
- Spread in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until crisp.
- Allow to cool completely on the pan and enjoy!