Everyone deserves the chance to tell their story, and everyone deserves books that speak to their experiences.
Books have incredible power to bring people together. Choosing a book is a meaningful act that has the potential to create positive change.
We can--and must--use that power to make the book world a welcoming and supportive place for readers and writers of all races, ethnicities and backgrounds.
We can make a real and immediate difference by choosing books by authors of color. We can start the change on our bookshelves and e-readers by opening ourselves to diverse stories.
In this special dispatch, I'm excited to introduce you to some truly amazing authors of color and ethnic minority. Connecting with them through the indie author scene, I have been so inspired by their stories.
I hope you'll see yourself represented in their books, or learn about experiences different from your own. These authors come from diverse backgrounds and write a wide variety of romance, fantasy and historical fiction. One thing they have in common--when you see their compelling books, you won't be able to resist!
Let's challenge ourselves to get these authors as many clicks, downloads, and reviews as possible!
Here are ways you can show you stand beside authors of color and value their work:
- Download and read their freebies to experience their stories.
- Buy their paid books to spend with conscience (if you're financially able).
- Leave a review! Taking the time and effort to tell an author your thoughts on their book is one of the most valuable things you can do!
- Sign up for their newsletters to get involved.
- Connect with them on social media.
- Share the love: tell your friends about the multicultural authors you're reading.
- And watch for another special dispatch in July that will bring you more featured multicultural authors!
Let's do this!