Regular or Gluten-free
(Yield: 6 - 8 slices)
- 2 egg yolks
- 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 Tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 - 10 ginger snap cookies (may be store bought; may be gluten-free; may use graham crackers or vanilla cookies, too)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
For the yolk mixture, combine 2 egg yolks, 6 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 - 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind, and 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice. Cook in the top of a double boiler for 3 minutes. Stir always. Cool.
In a small bowl beat 2 egg whites until stiff. Add in 2 tablespoons sugar. In another small bowl, whip 2/3 cup cream. Fold the whites into the cream. Then fold the cooled egg yolk mixture into the cream mixture.
In an 8” pie plate, spread 6 - 8 crushed ginger snap cookies (gluten-free). Melt 2 tablespoons butter and spread over the cookies.
Pour the filling on top of the crumb base. Crush 1 - 2 more cookies and sprinkle the crumbs over the top. Freeze overnight.