Doctoral students from any campus-wide program, department, or college who have advanced to candidacy (D status) and who are active participants in the Center for African and African American Studies (CAAAS) at the University of Colorado Boulder.
The selection committee will base their decisions on the following criteria:
1. The quality of the applicant's doctoral dissertation research or creative work project
2. The quality of the applicant’s CV (presentations, publications, creative work, awards, etc.)
3. Probability of significant doctoral dissertation development and/or completion within the award period (the higher, the better)
4. Other dissertation awards the applicant has already received (the fewer, the better)
Applicants must submit #s 1-5 below in a single .pdf by the deadline October 1, 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Call for Applications: Opens September 1, 2023, and Closes October 1, 2023 Deadline: October 1, 2023. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
1. Cover Letter (Please provide personal information [name, email address, department affiliation, student ID], and why this award would be timely.)
3. Proof of admission to Ph.D. candidacy (e.g., letter of admission to candidacy)
4. A synopsis of the dissertation (750 words maximum)
5. A list of other research or creative work grants (internal or external) to which the applicant has applied and all other forms of financial support the applicant has received since they have become ABD—specifically any internal and external awards the applicant has received or is expected to receive to aid them in their dissertation research and writing.
1. Recipients will be asked to submit a letter notifying the CAAAS upon completion of their dissertation. In addition, by May 1, please email email@example.com a 300-600 word summary (double spaced, 12 point font) of how the Reeves Dissertation Award aided in furthering your dissertation research.
2. Acknowledgment of the Center for African & African American Studies (CAAAS) is required on all promotional/published materials for projects funded by the CAAAS. Use this language for credit: “This project was supported, in part, by a grant from the Center for African & African American Studies at the University of Colorado Boulder.”