As I write this, Without a Trace, my latest novel - a psychological thriller about three women who go up north for a long weekend and return having buried a body in the woods - is currently with my publisher for consideration. As you might remember, I wrote the first draft during November and the first week of December last year, completing it in - for me - record time. I've spent the last couple of weeks re-reading, annotating and revising it, and on Monday afternoon I felt I'd finally got it to a stage where it was ready to be viewed by another pair of eyes.
To be clear, this is very much just the beginning of the journey. Even if my publisher accepts it at this stage, it's likely to be on the condition of further (and probably significant) changes. In the past, when I've submitted a manuscript, it's already gone through multiple rounds of rewrites, so I'm taking a bit of a risk letting them see something that's at a comparatively embryonic phase of development. But I was pleasantly surprised, when re-reading it, to discover that it, even at such an early stage, it already hung together quite nicely, so I made the decision to do a light tune-up and hit the "Send" button, giving them the opportunity to provide me with input on it while it's still relatively doughy and malleable.
However it ends up being received, the next step will undoubtedly be for me to knuckle down and do a proper second draft. Stay tuned for further developments on that front...