Welcome to the 320 new entrepreneurs who joined last week.
Congrats to pram.eth for becoming a Lifetime Trends Pro Member by collecting the MetaTrends #0083 NFT.
🎪 Let's talk about Building in Public.
Thanks Arvid Kahl, Ashwin, Aaron Aalto, Nyssa Cromwell, Brian Casel, Maciej Cupial, Sharath Kuruganty, Fausto Sá Teles, EK, Katt Risen, Shashank and Prabhjot Singh Lamba. We had a great time jamming on this report.
- How to validate ideas?
- How to build an audience?
- How to get fast feedback?
- Why social accountability matters?
- How to meet new friends, mentors and investors?
- How to think about copycats?
- How to repurpose content?
This report is brought to you by Mercury...
We've been using Mercury at Trends.vc for 16 months.
We were super excited when Mercury reached out to sponsor us.
Mercury is the banking stack for startups* .
It's easy to use and may be the best-designed product in our stack (check out their demo).
We've tried several banks and none come close. Mercury has no monthly fees, physical and virtual debit cards, domestic and international wires, currency exchange, integrations with the tools your startup uses, and a delightful mobile app.
I recommend Mercury to every friend that's looking for business banking.
Building a startup is hard enough. Mercury just works. It has everything you need.
Ready to get started? Open an Account
*Mercury is a financial technology company, not a bank. Banking services provided by Choice Financial Group and Evolve Bank & Trust®; Members FDIC
"Work with the garage door open."
💎 Why It Matters
Building in public helps you:
- Validate ideas
- Stay top-of-mind
- Get fast feedback
- Build connections with stakeholders
You need to break through noise to share your story.
Make a habit of sharing struggles, wins, milestones, questions and lessons.
People Building in Public
- Creators will use podcasts as a channel to build in public. See examples:
- More companies will be built around accountability challenges.
- Find your tribe. Engage with subcommunities.
- Share more than revenue. There are other ways to build in public. You can:
- Join a challenge. Social accountability works.
- Repurpose content.
- Person > Persona • Don't lose yourself while building in public. It's easy to become obsessed with crafting narratives. Building in public is performative but find balance.
- Copycats • Sharing success and strategies will lead to copycats. Feature parity is possible in SaaS. While creators and communities are categories of one.
- Competitors • Oversharing can allow incumbents to frontrun your roadmap. Buffer, one of the most open companies, throws caution to the wind and shares their full roadmap.
🔑 Key Lessons
- Building in public has benefits beyond reaching customers. You can:
- Recruit team members
- Get fast feedback
- Meet new friends
- Find evangelists
- Meet mentors
- Find investors
- Early followers become invested in your journey when you involve them by asking for feedback and sharing struggles. See the Endowment Effect.
- Building in public works because transparency is scarce. We value authenticity and vulnerability. As Brené Brown says “Vulnerability is not winning or losing; it's having the courage to show up and be seen when we have no control over the outcome. Vulnerability is not weakness; it's our greatest measure of courage.
🔥 Hot Takes
- If building in public feels like a job to you. It won't last. Choose a strategy that you can maintain. Don't like Twitter? No problem. Podcast or make videos.
- Building in public is performative. Embrace it. Be authentic. Tell honest stories and build connections.
"What if people judge me?"This is your ego talking. The bad news is that no one cares about you. The good news is that no one cares about you. We care about ourselves and our problems. Focus on providing value and sharing stories. Fear-Setting can also help you overcome stage fright.
"I don't have any followers. No one's listening."Don't try to boil the ocean. Join small communities and connect with people one-on-one. Highlight others' work. Dickie Bush gained early followers by appreciating others.
"Building in Public? This sounds like Bragging in Public."If you only share wins, this is bragging. And inauthentic. Share the ups and the downs.
📁 Related Reports
What you’ll get:
- 33 People Building in Public (135% More)
- 4 Predictions (100% More)
- 11 Opportunities (175% More)
- 6 Risks (100% More)
- 6 Key Lessons (100% More)
- 5 Hot Takes (150% More)
- 10 Links (233% More)
With Trends Pro you'll learn:
- (📈 Pro) How to tell great stories?
- (📈 Pro) How to earn as you learn?
- (📈 Pro) How to grow your luck surface area?
- (📈 Pro) Which founder sold his company in 5 hours by building in public?
- (📈 Pro) Who reached ramen profitability by building in public?
- (📈 Pro) Who are the pioneers of building in public?
- (📈 Pro) Which new industries are building in public?
✅ Access All Trends Pro Reports
✅ Stay Accountable with Daily Standups
✅ Meet Curious Entrepreneurs in Weekly Meetups
✅ Discuss Reports with Domain Experts
✅ Collaborate on Upcoming Reports