- The Fake Futurism of Elon Musk
Elon Musk is probably the first person that comes to mind when I say ‘Futurist’. Many call him the real-life Iron Man, being a rich tech genius, creating new technology for the betterment of mankind. I, however, think Musk’s vision of the future is rather bleak, let me explain:
Musk’s Key Projects:
- Boring Company’s Loop, SpaceX’s Mars Colony, Tesla’s Cybertruck etc. look like they open up the “next phase of human civilisation”.
- But these projects seem to prepare for an environment on Earth that is less habitable than it is today.
- Musk stated that he wants to be a leader for “Apocalypse Technology”.
- These projects don’t stave off the climate crisis, instead they are designed FOR the climate crisis.
Who are his projects really for?
- The capacity of Boring Company’s Loop is so few, Musk could’ve built mass public transport systems for efficiency, but he chose not to.
- The small capacity is a feature, called exclusivity. Only the elites would be able to access it.
- Same goes for the Mars Colony, it’s naïve to think any Joe can be a part of it.
That said, I’m not down-playing Musk’s innovation and brilliance, the man’s certainly the boldest entrepreneur and pioneer today. What I’m putting forward is that Musk is not as benevolent as his fanboys think, no ‘man of the people’ can be the top richest person in the world, that’s not how capitalism works.