- Short Round
Indiana Jones, played by Harrison Ford, is an iconic hero in cinema. I’d love to see the franchise continue but Ford is 78 this year.
- Short Round spin-off series (Short Round is the Asian kid with Indy in The Temple of Doom).
- Shorty already sees Indy as his mentor. So, a grown-up Shorty is the perfect candidate for Indy to pass the torch to.
- Disney also won’t have the issue of recasting Harrison Ford.
- As much as I love Indy, his characterisation won’t fly in 2021.
- Think about it, he’s essentially an international grave robber, goes to other countries (often imperial colonies), steals their artifacts and sells them to western museums. (By the way, the British Museum has world’s most stolen artifacts)
- Shorty can address this problem, he idolises Indy but grows up realising this issue and diverges from Indy’s footsteps and goes on his own adventures.
- Shorty does the opposite of Indy, where he goes to museums, steals the artifact and returns it to the culture it belongs to.
- In essence, Short Round = Robin Hood’s nobility + Mission Impossible’s heists.
- This makes him an interesting anti-hero, with his own path, yet still part of Indy’s legacy and gives us an Asian male lead (long underrepresented in Hollywood).
I haven’t properly fleshed out the character/plot, but I think it’s an interesting concept to explore. Simu Liu has the swagger and the ruggedness for this but I’m sure there are many awesome actors out there too.