Welcome to the 1st edition of Helping Hands.
I'm David and I am your UCU Academic Services representative. I am based in Milton Keynes, but work closely with Brendan, Elaine and Philip in our regional and national offices.
When considering starting an Academic Services UCU newsletter a few weeks ago, I never thought I would be writing the 1st edition amidst a UK lockdown and we would all be working from home. What strange times.
During this extraordinary period please be assured OU UCU is here for you. We have been actively raising academic related issues (e.g. clarification on pandemic contingency leave, raising health and safety issues, ensuring flexibility in annual leave) and working with management to ensure everyone is supported as much as possible during this difficult situation.
There are some simple ways you can help members and non members alike:
- Sharing this email with non members in Academic Services to highlight the learning and well-being resources that are included.
- Regularly talking with your colleagues instead of via email
- Attend informal drop in or branch meetings to keep up to date with OU developments
- Letting OU UCU know of any changes in your unit.
- Follow our branch on Facebook and Twitter
Through helping each other we can ensure everyone in Academic Services across the nations is supported and that each individual works in a positive environment.