A Morning Wish
A Morning Wish" by W.R. Hunt
This is originally a wish for the new year, but I found its words so profound, I'll post it today. Because you don't need to wait until the turn of the year to have a fresh start. Your New Year can start today if you so decide.
"The sun is just rising on the morning of another day, the first day of the new year. What can I wish that this day, that this year, may bring to me?
Nothing that shall make the world of others poorer, nothing at the expense of others; but just those few things which in their coming do not stop with me but touch me rather, as they pass and gather strength:
- A few friends who understand me, and yet remain my friends.
- A work to do which has real value without which the world would feel the poorer.
- A return for such work small enough not to tax unduly anyone who pays.
- A mind unafraid to travel, even though the trail be not blazed.
- A sight of the eternal hills and unbelting sea, and of something beautiful the individual hand has made.
- A sense of humor and the power to laugh.
- A little leisure with nothing to do.
- A few moments of quiet, silent meditation. The sense of the presence of God.
- And the patience to wait for the coming of these things, with the wisdom to know them when they come."