Hello everyone and happy August! Today is the start of a new month, and with that comes a great opportunity to set new intentions. One intention I would like to set for myself is to be more comfortable talking about my book in casual conversation.
You might think this is a silly thing to say as a published author--as I am very informed and confident in my subject area, and publishing a book should be an easy topic to brag about. But for me, writing was a perfect outlet because I could express my thoughts without necessarily being confronted as an individual. In person, though, it can be weirdly intimidating and challenging to discuss. Not only because my book is about some very cutting-edge, niche topics, but I also don't want to appear full of myself by casually bringing up my book. Luckily, last week I was able to "practice" these conversations with some wonderful new people who were already somewhat familiar with the circular economy--which was definitely my perk of a zero waster for the week!
- As part of my involvement with Plant Chicago, I have been able to connect with lots of urban farmers that are extremely passionate and knowledgeable about sustainable growing practices and circularity. One of these wonderful humans is Daviiddd--The Contemporary Farmer. Also, quick shout out to Amy Bartucci--who is part of this community--for connecting us! Daviiddd purchased two copies of my book and had me sign them at our farmer's market, and then took the liberty of informing many market attendees about my book who I was able to spark some conversation with. This was such a heart-warming experience, and it sparked my interest in an in person signing event! Let me know if you have any particular ideas on this possibility.
Here are the rest of my weekly updates:
- TOMORROW AT 9:40 AM CST I will appear on the not-for-profit radio station Chat & Spin Radio. It will be a quick 5-minute segment, but it would be awesome for you guys to tune in if you can! I actually appeared on this station in mid-June, and they asked me to come back for a second interview! The station gets about 800k listeners per week, so lots of potential there!
- I had another meeting with Sharon Silbermann regarding our podcast! We have hashed out about 10 episodes so far that are super interesting and dig into topics of circular fashion that I wasn't even aware of! We also have ambitious goals for guests on the podcast and are beginning to reach out now, so if you have any connections or ideas for who we might include, do let me know.
- I attended my final post launch workshop, which emphasized the importance of reviews for self-published authors like me! So, I thought I would take this opportunity to nudge all of you to leave a book review on Amazon if you haven't already :)
- Also, I have not been posting my blog articles for the past couple weeks on this newsletter, but I wanted you to be aware that they do in fact exist on my website! My most recent article, What is A Zero Waste Activist?, came out yesterday, and it discusses what exactly a zero waste activist is, how they can be different from other environmental activists, and what things you can do to become one yourself!
That's all for this week!